Lucky Dip

As a friend of mine once said, this is “one of the great songs about extraterrestrials”*

It’s even greater in the 7-minute version.

Download: Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft – The Carpenters (mp3)

* The others are, of course, this and this.

Tags:

8 Comments

1. dickvandyke says:

Great stuff.

Calling Occu-pants has to be one of the most incongruous of cover versions? The Carpenters tugging at the fine thread between genius and whacky – and not for the only time.

Never listened to that Hot Chocolate song properly before. After a few jars, my old man used to always say, ‘No bout adout it!”

Unfortunately, The Krankies version of Starman reamains forever etched on my soul.

You’ve ahem ‘done’ Sarah Brightman before, I vaguely recall?

2. Druid says:

It wasn’t until a few months ago I found out that this song was written by J.Woloschuk/T.Draper from the band Klaatu on their first album ’3:47 E.S.T.’ in 1976. Before that I always thought it had been written by The Carpenters.

3. Simon says:

Ah Lee, I’m disappointed, no mention of Strange Town in your ET tunes?

4. dickvandyke says:

Needle sharp, Simon. Needle sharp.

5. BigStupid says:

Thanks for that. Just curious about the color photo of Klattu and Gort, don’t think I’ve ever seen one before.

6. LondonLee says:

I’ve a feeling it might be a colorized black and white photo.

7. Absolutely fantastic song that should be played when I dial to the oldies. Unfortunately, all I ever get is another round of Aretha’s “Respect”. Ugh.

Although I liked Klaau’s original, I enjoy the Carpenters version much more.

Cheers!

8. whiteray says:

Good choices, all, but I’d ponder “Hypnotized” by Fleetwood Mac . . .

What’s it all about?

The sentimental musings of an ageing expat in words, music, and pictures. Mp3 files are up for a limited time so drink them while they're hot. Contact me: lee at londonlee dot com

Buy